Music and You!

Forums The Off-topic Dungeon Music and You!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by StomachGod StomachGod 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    NickyD
    NickyD
    Keymaster

What music do you like? Has a game’s music affected you and your gaming experience?

I’m becoming more cognizant of it as we develop UD. Music and sound design really, really elevate the experience. Emotional cues, or something…

• This topic was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by NickyD NickyD.
    StomachGod
    StomachGod
    Participant

Game music is always really important!
    I think the most important aspects of it are to have music that suits your game and that brings the mood/feel you want the game to have at that point in time.
    There are a lot of games that do this relatively to extremely well, if you are struggling for inspiration maybe you need to try some games and really listen to the music at various points to see how (and if) it suits the current scene and the game setting.

An important thing to note is some games are often renowned for their music, others are not, but that doesn’t mean the music was bad or badly done, its just a different level of focus. Some games rely heavily upon their music to add something, whereas other games may not have this reliance.
    Consider some simple genre examples, VNs are often very heavily reliant on a decent back up soundtrack to give the right feel for the story being told, whereas a strategy game is holding the players attention by its gameplay not its story, so it doesn’t need to have super awesome mood music in the background.
    Generally you will probably find most strategy games have some simple high-beat music to give the play a sense of action and momentum, similar for action games. RPGs often have theme based music, to give the appropriate feel for their setting… etc etc

I will need to have a think about some good examples of games with good music, but one I can give off the top of my head is Skullgirls. The music in that game was very well thought out.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.