One-liners?

Forums The Gaming Den…Dungeon One-liners?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by NickyD NickyD 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Larxinostic
    Participant

“Zelda is god!” “Call of Duty never changes.” “Raiden’s a wimp!” “Gen I is the only gen!” “XBox has only FPSes!” “Persona isn’t SMT!” “FF6 was the last true FF!” “MM2 Wily Stage 1 is the greatest 8-bit song; to say otherwise is blasphemy!”

I’ve been spotting more parroted, one-line ‘hivemind’ gaming opinions of late, and I find such reductions of nuance and variety…unimpressive. Not everyone likes Zelda. Call of Duty has changed. Raiden was never supposed to copy Solid Snake. Pokémon has plenty of merit beyond Gen I. XBox offers more than just FPSes. Persona is not a mainline SMT, but it heavily draws from the core series and deserves to slot alongside it. Final Fantasy 7 and beyond drew countless fans to RPGs and should not be dismissed based solely off nostalgic sentimentality. Dozens of 8-bit tunes could qualify as a best of the era, including other 8-bit Mega Man songs. Et al.

What say you, regarding this possible trend of simplification and parroting? Is it harmless? Is it overblown? Is it stifling discussion? Is it likely to increase, decrease, or unwaver?

To me, whether lengthy or curt, at least acknowledge the potential of nuanced, diverse, differing opinions… =/

StomachGod
    StomachGod
    Participant

I would horrify most of those peoples, I have never played Zelda, Raiden who?
    2nd gen was better, I actually liked FF13, Mega Man who? XD

I would probably be equally guilty of giving some closed minded responses, but I think mine would likely not be with the “main stream” lot. It is important to recognize that everyone likes different things, without variety there can be no creativity…
    Sheep will be sheep however so I doubt such nonsense will die down anytime soon XP

I think the most important thing here is that people often don’t actually truely 100% believe these lines as gospel. Often these kind of lines are spouted because the person(s) don’t actually know the topic all so well. When one finds themselves ignorant it is easier to pretend they know all and spout one line endlessly than admit they don’t actually know what they are talking about XP
    You will find the people who actually have such strong opinions will be able to give some kind of reasoning, even if it isn’t good reasoning, as to why they hold that view.

NickyD
    NickyD
    Keymaster

StomachGod hit the nail on the head in a lot of respects, methinks. “Sheep will be sheep” is sort of like how I’d say “it’s easier to hop on the bandwagon and find acceptance–no matter the group–rather than give your own opinion.”

I’ve personally come under fire for decisions made by myself and a group of people, and two companies, as if I were the sole heretic to be burned on a pyre. I bet most of the people parroting things have no idea where it stems from, the process behind any of the decisions, etc. etc. It’s all to fit in with a group of people; online or offline, people have group mentalities and enjoy knowing they can go somewhere and feel safe/protected. I can’t fault them for that, so if I somehow indirectly cause others to feel included and it prevents them from acting out and/or doing something more harmful, then cool. 🙂

Also, the MM2 Wily Stage 1 song is the best. In that game. The Castlevania Stage 3 song is the best. In that game. 😉 The final boss track in DDS2 is the best in that game, so on and so forth. Blanket statements are terrible; music in games is far more complex than “game music.” It’s like comparing a pop song to doom metal. Keep comparisons within their genre, folks!! <- Also an opinion.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.