Spoilers vs. Info!

Forums The Undead Darlings Dungeon Spoilers vs. Info!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by StomachGod StomachGod 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NickyD
    NickyD
    Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts about the extent to which you find information and updates on games to be spoiler-tastic. We’d hate to sour your experience with Undead Darlings because we put too many “jokes” in screenshots (like when movie trailers show you the entire movie, or the few punchlines that deliver).

As in, if we uploaded a video of an entire event scene, would you find that to be more of a spoiler than a handful of screenshots from that scene?

Battle and exploration is always video-worthy to me, but as I’ve said before, we’re still getting 3D objects and ironing out the battle system’s kinks… Hopefully we can have stuff for the Prefundia page to come sometime next month!!

StomachGod
    StomachGod
    Participant

That would depend a lot on the event scene methinks. Something that is more of an example of what an event may be like but is not revealing anything too important, so a small interaction, should be fine as a video in my opinion. Anything beyond that is probably a potential spoiler.
    It would probably be nice to see an event that shows off the writing style, give us a feel for your writing style or maybe the tone of the story?

NickyD
    NickyD
    Keymaster

Most excellent! I have a few scenes in mind, in that case.
    I’ve found it easier to program scenes when there are only two or three girls involved; when I have all six plus Buck, it turns into a logistical nightmare having to keep track of where they are on-screen, their emotion, and swapping them with another character o_O;
    Maybe sub-events will make for good, quick scene videos. Not related to the key story/plot, not related to each specific character’s arc. Just fun banter between active party members — and I won’t lie, it’s definitely a concept we’re taking right out of Dungeon Travelers’ playbook. It’s such a nice touch and makes you want to keep swapping your party members around to find more!
    (Perhaps this is considered acceptable grinding? We’ll see how folks feel after they’ve played the demo for a while!)

StomachGod
    StomachGod
    Participant

Hmmm… Well from having read maybe one or two (many) VNs I think I’ve seen this handled in various different ways. Obviously the main way it is handled is by avoiding putting characters on screen if they arn’t really involved with the current part of conversation, this can make the dialog seem a tad strange tho with constant switch in/out of characters.
    Another is showing a smaller face splash thingy of the character that is currently speaking down next to the dialog to clarify who is speaking, doesn’t help screen clutter tho (can actually add to the clutter when there are too many characters).
    Another is in large conversations to semi-fade out characters who are not currently speaking, so they are all still there but you know who is talking at each time. You could unfade them for expression changes even if they dont speak (if they are reacting to others dialog?)… I think that one just makes it more of a logistical nightmare tho….

Well I think I have already posted elsewhere on my hate of grinding, but really it depends on how slow it is and feels. Obviously most people don’t have huge amounts of time to spend grinding so too much grinding is gona seem a bit obtrusive, on the other side of things, if the individual battles take long periods of time, (5mins plus), then more than a couple of fights is gona seem like a drag.

A case and point example of this is in a game is Agarest: Generations of War, t’is a jrpg that even on the lowest difficulties standard battles easily take 5-10 mins, rewards from battles that you will need to spend on upgrades later in the game come at say 50pp for a good battle and you need tens of thousands of it… needless to say grinding is more than a tad tedious…. I never finished that game XP

NickyD
    NickyD
    Keymaster

Oh my gosh, Agarest War. I got the Platinum trophy for that game, totally not worth it XD
    No sweat, I think the grinding is mostly going to be heading through dungeons multiple times with different party setups to access sub-events. No ingredient grinding and loot should be plentiful for healing and equipment.
    Might need to add cues even if the right party isn’t present to limit guesswork on the player’s part (something like “you sense a conversation could occur here between X, Y, and Z because Game Logic.”)

StomachGod
    StomachGod
    Participant

That is likely to be grind-worthy as I am a sucker for story events in these kinda games XD

Actually I know a game that handles random encounters and grind really well (partially because grind is generally unnecessary). “Cthulhu save the World”, it’s a parody jrpg style game that has a nice simple answer to frustrating grinding, the solution has two parts:
    A) each dungeon floor has only X number of random encounters, after that you will find no more random enemies while exploring that dungeon floor, (the number of encounters happened to be quite nicely set such that if you did complete all battles you should be leveled enough to beat the dungeon boss (assuming you had also completed all dungeons before that one XP)).
    B) you could force encounters via the menu meaning you didnt have to run round like a headless chook when looking for battles, if you wanted one, you just forced a fight.
    Grinding and non-grinding made easy =D
    I think if you used this system you would probably go for quite high numbers tho since you probably expect the player to complete a dungeon a couple of times if they are story event grinding XD

I guess with all the potential party combos you could use cues… Maybe you could tie it in almost by making it that if you have one or two of the correct part members you generate a pseudo event where they say a couple of lines, e.g. “I feel like X should be here”, or something. You know, so you don’t break the immersion factor too much =D (Also by requiring at least one member of the event present you encourage using all the characters and don’t make the main char seem omniscient XD)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.