What Makes a Dungeon Crawler?

Forums The Undead Darlings Dungeon What Makes a Dungeon Crawler?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by StomachGod StomachGod 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NickyD
    NickyD
    Keymaster

This is a good opportunity to sound off about what you find to be the most compelling element(s) in a first-person dungeon crawler. There’s no right or wrong answer.

For me, I really like the actual map exploration. Maybe it’s a bit of gamer OCD, but I enjoy filling out every grid space on the maps, even if it means I have to go through a dungeon’s twists and turns multiple times. Maps can have so many interesting gimmicks and layouts if the dungeon being explored isn’t any set piece of architecture — which has made drawing out the maps for Undead Darlings a unique challenge. Set in “real” places, we used blueprints from actual buildings as a base shape and size for each dungeon and added in several common gimmicks like one-way doors, switches, traps (pitfalls), set encounters, and teleporters.

…Teleporters don’t exist, I know, but it’s a staple of the genre and we had to put them in! At least the dungeon they appear in can explain their presence somewhat logically.

Larxinostic
    Participant

Admittedly, I’ve not played many dungeon crawlers yet, but of those I’ve played, theme and atmosphere go a long way toward engaging me and enhancing the experience. For example, I very much resonated with the sci-fi/spiritual meshing in Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers, and I’m finding the intermittent unease and morbidity of Operation Abyss to work in its favor. I’m also in agreement with you that endeavoring to fill out a dungeon map step by step imparts a sense of scale and overview that elevates the journey. Safe to say, though, that any random encounters which preemptively wipe my party out in one round can go take a long hike off a short pier. =P

Also, as always, it helps if the music’s anywhere from listenable to fantastic. This is a requisite of the highest priority.

ShawnH
    Participant

My experience with dungeon crawlers comes mostly from Persona games, so I share your fascination of exploring the entire location before moving on to the next floor. Got to get all the EXP and loot I can, right?

neptuniafan
    Participant

I don’t have much experience with dungeon crawlers but I do have somethings I like in the genre. Probably my most favorite is to be able to explore and find secret treasures or find some secret events that have a funny scene or explore the characters a bit more.

Grinding for exp or money or items is also fun, even if it is a bit tedious and time consuming.

NickyD
    NickyD
    Keymaster

Yay! Thank you for the responses. It’s not as though I was fishing for info about how to develop our game, but I did want to make sure we were prioritizing the right things instead of just “what Nick likes.”

Sounds like we’ll be able to accommodate most of y’all’s preferences. Once we get a finished music track, Larx, we’ll see how that stacks up 😉

StomachGod
    StomachGod
    Participant

Hmm… I havn’t played many dungeon crawlers since Legend of Grimrock came out on steam, but it doesn’t sound like this going to be the same kinda dungeon crawler…

Generally speaking, I think exploration and rewards for exploring are great, battles are good if the battle system is fun, but I absolutely loathe pointless grinding. Grinding can be okay if its done right, but if you have played many jrpg games you will probably know the pain of spending an entire day grinding for peanuts, but having to do so if you actually wana be able to progress in the game. So simply put, I don’t mind grinding if it is either A) efficient, or B) optional, maybe required for side quests and stuff. (sorry if this is kinda a rant, don’t let my opinions repress your creativity!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.